Millard House, Interiors
The Millard House in Pasadena, California, was designed in 1923 by Frank Lloyd Wright. Also known as “La Miniatura”, the house was the first of four concrete textile block houses designed and built in the Los Angeles area. The concrete textile blocks were individually poured on-site into hand-fabricated wooden molds creating an incredibly textured surface on both interior and exterior walls. While the clients owned a collection of furniture designed by Christian Liaigre, much more was needed to fill the spaces, including more variety. From pieces designed by Charlotte Perriand, Hans Wegner, Jean Prouve, George Nelson to lesser known American, Belgium, and French pieces, there is now a wide range of furniture, both in terms of style and period, though it is unlikely that Wright would have approved of furniture other than his own. Soft furnishings include antique rugs and textiles from the Mid-East to Far-East. The house now possesses the much needed warmth to what was a surprisingly stark space prior to the furnishings.